Associate Professor in Industrial Chemistry Focused on Sustainable Chemical Processes
At the Department of Chemistry at Umeå University, more than 200 people are active in research and undergraduate education (https://www.umu.se/en/department-of-chemistry/). Industrial Chemistry has long been a cornerstone among the research areas of the department and mainly includes research on biomass processing, heterogeneous catalysis, industrial biotechnology, new biobased materials and separation processes. We are now looking for a senior lecturer/associate professor in Industrial Chemistry with a focus on sustainable chemical processes. Last application date is 2022-08-31 .
The employment mainly includes research and teaching. The holder of this position is expected to conduct independent research in Industrial Chemistry. Teaching can take place at both undergraduate, advanced and postgraduate level, and mainly within the planned Master's Program in Engineering Chemistry. Teaching in other parts of the subject Chemistry may also occur. Teaching assignments can also include course development, supervision and examination as well as administrative tasks such as being course coordinator. In addition, supervision at postgraduate and postdoctoral levels may be included. Furthermore, administrative tasks and assignments can be included within the Department of Chemistry and the Faculty of Science and Technology. Management of staff and activities is included as the associate professor is expected to lead an own research group.
According to Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance, a person shall be qualified for appointment as Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor if he or she within an area has demonstrated educational expertise and holds a doctorate or has attained equivalent academic competence or other professional skills relevant with regard to the subject area of the appointment.
We are looking for you who have a doctoral degree in chemistry, industrial chemistry, technical chemistry, chemical engineering or equivalent scientific competence. Proven experience of research in one or more of the following areas is a requirement: sustainable industrial chemical processes, separation science, process intensification, renewable energy and green chemistry.
Assessment criteria and their weight
The assessment criteria for the appointment are the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of scientific expertise.
The basis for assessment of the employment shall primarily and to the same extent apply to the degree of scientific and pedagogical expertise. In the second place, the degree of administrative expertise, management skills and skills to lead activities, the ability to interact with the surrounding community and to inform about research and development work. In addition, other skills of importance with regard to the subject matter of the employment and the duties to be included in the employment shall be taken into account.
Scientific expertise shall be demonstrated through independent scientific productivity. The criteria for assessment are:
- breadth and depth of research – quality and scope
- originality of research
- contributions to the international research community
- assignments within the research community
- the ability to competitively obtain external research funding
- collaboration with the surrounding society
- experience in supervision at postgraduate level
The pedagogical expertise for employment as associate professor should be demonstrated by documented experience of teaching with scientific foundation at university level. The criteria for evaluation are:
- an ability to plan, implement and evaluate teaching and an ability to supervise and examine students at every level of education
- an ability to vary teaching methods and examination formats in relation to anticipated study results and the nature of the subject
- experience of collaboration with the surrounding society in planning and implementation of education
- participation in the development of learning environments, teaching aids and study resources
- a reflective approach to student learning and one’s own role as a teacher
Pedagogical expertise can be attained through education in university pedagogy, other education of relevance for teaching at a university level or documented and proven experience teaching at the university level.
A general basis for assessment is both a good ability to cooperate, as well as the competence and suitability in general that is needed to fulfill the tasks well. Administrative skills refer to the ability to develop and lead activities and personnel. Documented ability to work independently and work in a teaching team, as well as documented ability to collaborate with the surrounding society is a merit.
As an employee at Umeå University, you're offered a wide variety of benefits that promote a good work-life balance, read more about benefits here.
The application should preferably be written in English, and include the following items:
- A personal cover letter, including contact details, where you briefly describe how you meet the specified requirements (max 2 pages)
- Copies of relevant university degrees and diplomas
- Copies of five research publications relevant to the position, numbered according to the publication list
- Attachments to a pedagogical portfolio (see p. 3.5 in Umu Application template)
- CV/Umu Application template
Fill in the required application template (word). Submit it attached to your application in the Varbi system as your CV. Following information must be provided in the application template:
- basic information
- an account of research experience (including a list of articles published and a brief research plan)
- an account of pedagogical experience and activities
- an account of experiences of developing and managing activities and staff
- an account of experiences regarding interacting with the surrounding society and popularizing science
- references, including contact details
Applications should be made via e-recruitment system Varbi and be received no later than 2022-08-31.
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest institutions of higher education with over 35,000 students and 4,200 faculty and staff. We are characterised by world-leading research in several scientific fields and a multitude of educations ranked highly in international comparison. Umeå University is also the site of the pioneering discovery of the CRISPR-Cas9 genetic scissors - a revolution in genetic engineering that has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
At Umeå University, everything is nearby. Our cohesive campus environment makes it easy to meet, collaborate and exchange knowledge, which promotes a dynamic and open culture where we rejoice in each other's successes.
Are you interested in knowing more about Umeå University as a workplace read more at: Work with us.
At earliest convenience
Leif Jönsson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrik Andersson, email@example.com