Professor in forest soil science
An appointment as Professor in forest soils science is vacant at the Department of Forest Ecology and Management at SLU, Umeå. The department includes 100 people of which about 10 are professors. We conduct research and teach about how relevant ecosystem processes regulate, interact and affect the forest landscape. An important part of our mission is to understand how different systems for forestry and management affect the forest's ecosystem services, which is why we study both managed and unmanaged environments.
For more information: http://www.slu.se/en/departments/forest-ecology-management/
The subject area of this position is forest soil science with a focus on boreal and northern temperate forest ecosystems. The research comprises both fundamental and applied questions of relevance for the subject area, and may include biotic as well as abiotic components of the soil system.
The professor shall:
- act in accordance with the vision, goals and basic values of SLU
- act in accordance with the departmental strategy by contributing to the development of scientifically based principles for management of forest ecosystems
- develop and lead an internationally successful environment for research and education
- apply for external funding in competition at national and international level
- contribute to knowledge about the forest landscape in managed and unmanaged environments
- lead, develop and participate in teaching and supervision of students at all levels
- collaborate with other researchers and the society regionally, nationally and internationally
- supervise PhD students and postdocs
- disseminate research findings
Non Swedish-speaking staff members are expected to, within four years of first being employed, have sufficient knowledge of Swedish/Scandinavian to understand information in Swedish.
The applicant shall:
- have a PhD degree and have attained the rank of a Swedish “docent” (roughly: associate professor or reader) in a subject area relevant for the position, or equivalent scientific competence
- be scientifically skilled within the subject area of this appointment
- be pedagogically skilled
- have good ability to communicate in written and spoken English
Assessment criteria for appointment of a professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
- completed research activities and ongoing research within the subject area
- future research vision within the subject regarding both in managed and unmanaged environments
- ability to independently initiate, lead and develop innovative research within the subject area
- ability to attract external funding in competition
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider the ability to:
- plan, conduct and evaluate their own teaching
- supervise and examine undergraduate and master level students
- supervise and examine at doctoral level
- convey and implement their pedagogical vision
- integrate research and academic thinking in teaching
- leading, developing and managing academic units and staff
- interacting with relevant stakeholders and society
- dissemination of information on research and development projects
Equal attention shall be given to the assessment of scientific skills, as to pedagogic skills, as well as to other skills.
The candidate who after an overall assessment of skills and qualifications, is considered most suitable to carry out and develop the work and contribute to a positive development of the activities within the field will be suggested for the appointment.
Application deadline: Dec 12 2022
Place of work: Umeå
Form of employment: Permanent
Starting date: By agreement
It is desirable that the application is written in English, because the applications will be evaluated by expert advisers both in Sweden and abroad.
"Appointment procedures for teachers at SLU" and “General assessment criteria for the appointment of teachers" can be found here.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) is a world-class international university with research, education and environmental assessment within the sciences for sustainable life. Its principal sites are in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, but activities are also conducted at research stations, experimental parks and educational establishments throughout Sweden. We bring together people who have different perspectives, but they all have one and the same goal: to create the best conditions for a sustainable, thriving and better world.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses.
Head of Department
+46 (0)90-786 85 84
+46 (0)76-527 87 97