Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor* in Crop Science
Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences
Department of Agricultural Research for Northern Sweden
The Department of Agricultural Research for Northern Sweden (NJV) in Umeå conducts research and education in crop and animal sciences, with a specific focus on forage-based animal production. The common threads in the activities are efficiency and sustainability for the whole production chain, from seeding the forage crop and feeding the animals, to the effect on products of milk and meat. The crop science group conducts research on cultivation of forages, which includes agronomic studies, development and use of crop models, and production management with remote sensing tools and spectral techniques. The department contributes to education in bachelor’s and master’s programs in agricultural sciences, and to standalone courses. Read more about our activities and infrastructures at www.slu.se/njv-en.
The recruitment of a Senior lecturer/Associate Professor is a strategy for developing and improving the research and education within this central subject of SLU. The employment at SLU creates possibilities for collaborations with many other closely related subject areas at SLU’s campuses in Uppsala, Alnarp and Skara, e.g. within agricultural science, animal science and ecology. SLU has a well-developed infrastructure for field-based research, with field stations all over Sweden, including several long term experiments. Some stations are also part of SITES (Swedish Infrastructure for Ecosystem Science).
The subject area is crop science, and encompasses basic and applied research questions with a focus on crops for production of forages for ruminants.
The senior lecturer is expected to:
- develop and lead research in the subject area with a focus on cultivation and quality of forage crops,
- develop and lead teaching and improve teaching methods, including supervision and examination, at undergraduate and master’s level, in Swedish and English,
- participate in and enhance educational and research collaborations within the department and SLU, as well as with similar subject specialisations at other higher education institutions, nationally and internationally,
- supervise PhD students, and develop postgraduate education,
- advance and strengthen national and international networks with researchers, and industry/business,
- communicate research and research findings, in scientific and popular scientific ways,
- advance and strengthen cooperation and collaboration with society,
- apply for national and international external research funding, and
- teach in Swedish within four years of taking up the position.
The successful candidate should:
- hold a doctorate,
- demonstrate research expertise within the subject area of the employment,
- demonstrate good pedagogic skills, and
- have good oral and written knowledge of English.
Assessment criteria for the employment will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The scientific assessment will consider
- research activities, both completed and ongoing, within the subject area
- the capacity to independently initiate and do novel research
- experience in applying for and attracting external research funding
The pedagogic assessment will consider
- experience of planning, conducting, and evaluating teaching
- experience of supervision and examination at postgraduate level
- ability to integrate research and a scientific approach into pedagogic activities.
- communication and collaboration
- managing and developing activities and staff at the university
- interaction and collaboration with relevant stakeholders and society
- disseminating research and development activities
As much attention will be given to the assessment of pedagogic skills as to the assessment of scientific skills. Personal skills, such as collaboration with others in a group, taking responsibility and initiative, and contributing to a good work environment and a good collegial atmosphere will also be highly regarded.
Good knowledge of Swedish or other Scandinavian languages is advantageous.
This position offers the vibrant research climate at SLU. The benefits of the position include Swedish family health care provisions, parenting support including generous paid leave of absence policies that allow both parents to care for newborns and toddlers. Additionally Sweden has a well-established pre-school structure as well as an educational system that provides no-cost education through university studies. Find out more facts and stories about Sweden at www.sweden.se
Located in the greater Stockholm region, the city of Uppsala has a rich history and culture, and is a true academic and cultural hub. Find out more about moving, living and working here at https://internationalhub.uppsala.se/
Place of work
Form of employment
* The Swedish title “universitetslektor” is a tenured position approximately equivalent to senior lecturer (UK) or associate professor (US). The successful candidate will be employed as senior lecturer.
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) is a world-class international university with research, education and environmental assessment within the sciences for sustainable life. Its principal sites are in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, but activities are also conducted at research stations, experimental parks and educational establishments throughout Sweden. We bring together people who have different perspectives, but they all have one and the same goal: to create the best conditions for a sustainable, thriving and better world.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses.
Faculty Administrative Officer
Phone: +4618671209, mobile: +46738428173
Head of Department